Firelands own, Mr. Michael Horne, will be inducted into the Lorain Sports Hall of Fame with the Class of 2017!
Horne played basketball for Lorain Catholic High School during the mid 1970’s. His induction information is as follows:
- One of the top shooting guards in Lorain County history, Horne scored a then-Lorain Catholic-record 1,072 points in his career.
- The 1976 graduate helped the Spartans to a 21-3 record and a trip to the regional finals as a junior and to a 25-1 record and a trip to the state finals as a senior.
- A two-time first-team All-Lorain County, all-district and All-North Central Conference pick, he was also a third-team United Press International All-Ohio selection as a senior.
- He played two years at Henderson Junior College in Texas, helping the team go 33-3 and finish third in the country his first season and 25-5 and win the Texas Eastern Conference title in his second.
- Coached the Firelands High School boys basketball team from 1990-99 and was named Lorain County Conference coach of the year in 1992 and the Lorain County Division II coach of the year in 1992 and ’93.
The induction banquet will be held May 4th at DeLuca’s Place in the Park. Ticket information can be obtained by contacting Ron Feldkamp at 440-244-3449 or Tom Bauer at 440-282-4624.
Congratulations to Mr. Mike Horne!
Credit to The Chronicle Telegram for the statistical information.