The Brownhelm Historical Society is dedicated to the community. The members work hard to share and preserve the history of the area. Members of the BHS, along with The Lorain County Metroparks, bring the past to life for school children throughout the year. Ladies from the BHS volunteer as teachers to work with visiting children in the one room school house reenactments. These community days are held at the Carriage House at Mill Hollow. For many years, Mrs. Brill and Mrs. Feldkamp have been teaching children what a school day was like in the 1800’s. When visiting, children can sit in the old school seats and write on individual chalk boards to help them understand how different learning is today versus the 1800’s.
The Brownhelm Historical Association was organized in 1993 and currently has approximately 100 members. The organization is always looking for people who would like to join this great group.
History of Brownhelm
In 1816, Colonel Henry Brown of Stockbridge, Massachusetts, traveled to Ohio to this area of the Western Reserve to look for land to purchase. Having chosen land along the lakeshore, he returned home and entered into a contract with the Connecticut Land Company for this township, known then only as number six in range nineteen. Colonel Brown named the surrounding land, “Brownhelm” and the area began to thrive.
Focus of the BHS
The Brownhelm Historical Society works to preserve the history of this community and is active in the preservation of three historical locations within the township. The society is currently renovating the Brownhelm red brick schoolhouse on North Ridge Road. They maintain the Brownhelm Heritage Museum on Claus Road, formerly the German Evangelical and Reformed Church built in 1870, and they protect an early cemetery now known as Brown’s Lake Road Cemetery, where many of Brownhelm’s early settlers were laid to rest.
The Brownhelm Historical Society holds meetings the first Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Carriage Barn at Mill Hollow. The meetings consist of regular business and a speaker or a display of a historical nature. There are no meetings in January, July or August.
To learn about the beginning of Brownhelm township, visit The History of Brownhelm Township. Bob Leimbach, the Vice-President of the BHS, welcomes questions regarding any of the current projects or general inquires at (440) 988-8410. The public is also welcome to stop and see the progress that is being made at the old Brownhelm School on North Ridge Road. Work is being done on the interrior of the buildings on Tuesdays from approximately 10:00 – 2:00 p.m.